Thursday, July 21, 2016

Aunt Rosamond

We detoured on our way home from Boston to visit Aunt Rosamond in Syracuse. She is 97 years old and feels it is necessary to move to an assisted living facility. Since she wishes to be near Laurie and Nina, that means moves moving to the west coast. She plans to do this by the end of the summer. I felt we needed to see her before because I don't think we ever will see her again after she moves out there. So the visit was bitter sweet. We enjoyed seeing her and considering her age we thought she looked great (she still plays the piano everyday!) but she remarked that everyday brought some new ache or pain. I could not help but think that this was an end to a whole portion of my life. Her husband, Uncle Don and I had a special relationship, similar to the one you have with Aunt Rosamond and as such she is the last living connection I have with him.
She was thrilled with your wedding invitation and spoke of how she wanted to go but it was just impossible! She then brought out some jewelry, that Uncle Don gave her, that she thought you and Allison might enjoy. This included two "Columbia " pieces. One was a costume "Columbia Lion" and the other was a necklace of Kings' College (Columbia). Did you know that Rutgers was once known as Queens college?
We will stay in touch by phone and cards and she wants pictures of your wedding which we will provide, but saying good bye for me was very hard and I was sad the rest of the day. She certainly loves you and I thank you for maintaining such a good loving relationship with her!

1 comment:

  1. I didn't realize that she is moving so soon! Makes me very sad:(

    ReplyDelete