Saturday, July 16, 2016

Scouting

I was thinking about scouting the other day because of the new badge Cub Scouts can earn for Video Games. I guess there is quite a controversy because when you think of scouting you think of getting outdoors. You were in Brownies from Kindergarten through 3rd grade and your mother and Mrs. England were the leaders. This was primarily a mother-daughter activity, but I remember attending your award ceremonies. I also helped eat all the Girl Scout cookies every year. My favorites were Thin mints and Samoas. Do you remember Hershey eating through a cardboard box to get to the cookies? Her favorite was Thin Mints! What is your favorite? After 3rd grade you "flew up" to Girl Scouts and you continued your participation through 5th grade. I did share involvement in scouting first as a Cub Scout from ages 8-10 and as a Boy Scout from age 11 until 16. While my father got involved with my baseball and football, he did not become a scouting leader. He told me he slept on the ground enough in the Army and had no desire to do it again on our scout camping trips. He encouraged me to stay involved in scouts and probably was the key reason that I continued in scouting until I attained the rank of Eagle Scout. I really enjoyed scouting, the camping trips and summer camp (I was a camp counselor for my first summer job). Your mother didn't believe I was an Eagle Scout until I showed her my stuff. I showed her my merit badge sash which included a badge for Home Repairs and she laughed, as you know she does most of the home repairs now. The picture is of the "moving-up" ceremony from Brownies to Girl Scouts at Stubbs Park in May 1993 .

No comments:

Post a Comment